HOW TO USE MP3_WAV FILES
When .wavs have been compressed with MP3 compression, they require you to have certain programs and/or codecs to hear them. If you're using Windows 95/98/NT (I personally use Windows 95), read the next section for more detailed info. If you're using a Mac, you can use SoundApp. If you're using another operating system, please read the MP3 WAV page at Sound America.
Please note that it might be necessary to download the wavs to your computer to play them. If clicking on the wav links doesn't prompt you to save the file to your hard drive, then you'll need to right click on the wav links and select "save link as" or "save target as" from the little menu that pops up. (*I've had visitors who've had problems when just left-clicking on the links -- another program tried to play the wavs, but couldn't. So, unless you want to go check your file associations -- which should only be done if you know what you're doing, right-clicking is the way to go.*) I can't help you in any manner with these files, other than the info posted here -- so, please, don't ask.
Using MP3 Compressed Wavs In Windows 95/98/NT
Well, you have several options.
- If you just want to play them, and nothing more, they can be played with WinAmp. With this program, the codec is NOT needed.
- If you want to use these wavs as system event sounds, convert them to another format, or if you don't like WinAmp, that's not a problem. However, this requires a codec to be installed on your system first. Below are step-by-step instructions to installing the codec.
- With the codec installed, you can play the wavs in most 32-bit sound programs. I suggest using Media Player (comes with Windows 95), WAV Browser, or Goldwave (get Ver. 4.00 and higher).
Instructions For Installing The Codec In Windows 95/98/NT
Original Page Design Copyright ©1996 Paul Rudoff. Used with permission.
- Download the MP3-COMPRESSED WAV CODEC.
- Unzip the file to an empty directory/folder. Use WinZip to unzip the file.
- Double-click on the L3CODECP.EXE file (it's the only file in the zip file). This will automatically install the codec.
- Congratulations, the codec is now installed.
Modifications for use on The FWHp Copyright ©2005 Doreen Mulman.